Saturday, December 15, 2012

Reflection




Looking back, I have been volunteering in SMOLH for the past 2.4 years. In these 2.4years, I don't feel like I'm volunteering at all. I feel like I'm an ever expanding sponge constantly absorbing new things every single time I spend my time there. 


The volunteer coordinator, Tania is one lovely mother with strong determination. She started the weight watchers program when I first met her and as the years I spend volunteering with her, she just get slimmer and slimmer! Now she's on her second pregnancy! One thing I gain from volunteering is friendships. You get to know the people there and they are just sooooo lovely! 



Tania coordinates my volunteer schedule. I can still remember the first patient she assigned me. See, I really dislike the word patient. I prefer using the word  friend. My friend is just 7 years older than me if I'm  not mistaken. Complications happened during her surgery and the result of it was her  ending up in a wheelchair with very little mobility. I'll probably remember her for the  rest of my life. She is really strong (physically and mentally). From what I recall, I have yet to win a single arm wrestling/thumb wrestling with her. The victory grin on her face is just priceless. She is pretty witty too!


Looking at how much she strive to get better and to not want to disappoint her family, makes me feel like who am I to complain about exams and assignments? It's a blessing to be able to go to classes and write exams! The fact that she's only 7 years older makes me feel that I can relate to her. She's a woman that is at her peak! This incident totally drag her to the valley. Life is so unpredictable, just like popping candy, you never know where  it will pop in your mouth next! =P


She was in a serious relationship when this happened to her. Her boyfriend is a sweetheart and is really really loving. He takes care of her every week when she goes back home. However, it had taken a toll on the bf due to the workload that he has with the commitment to take care of her to top it off eventually cause him collapse psychologically. They HAD to break up.  I still remember receiving an email from her mom wanted us to try to talk to her.  It was so hard on her. Her eyes were dim. All she want to do is to close her eyes and sleep.  It feels like sleep is the secret passage to Neverland. Just when she thought that she can't fall any deeper, a crack open on the ground and brought her to deeper pit. I can't say I fully understand how she feels but from what I can imagine, what she's actually going through must be worse. 


Her limitation in speech makes it even harder to communicate with her. I remember her mom telling me how when she first got out from the surgery, the only way she can communicate was to blink her eyes,1 blink, yes, twice, no. Then, she slowly recover. By the time I meet her she can use her finger to communicate while saying a few words once in a while, but it takes a lot of energy from her to either one of it. Talking! I mean, using voice to convey messages, is something so innate in us, yet it takes so much energy for her to produce even a word! Nevertheless,every time she speaks, everyone cheers! You know you are important to her when she is willing to use her energy to talk to you. I was thrilled when she gave me a hug and said: "bye" with a smile on her face. I was literally jumping my way out from the hospital!! Being with her makes me appreciate life more. To not take things for granted and before complaining, think about how blessed you are!


We spent so much time together doing stuff! Braiding her hair, putting facial masks on, hand massage, wrestling, strolling along the hospital, screaming for nurses together, watching shows together, discuss about Prince William and Duchess Kate's wedding, making art, being cheeky...etc, are some of the countless things that we did together!! Being with her is just so much fun, I wish we can invent something that can let memories replay in a live setting, not a time machine, well somewhat like a time machine but more of like a recorder where you playback memories and relive the feelings again.


Regardless of the difficulties she's experiencing to express herself verbally, you can see her expressions vividly on her face. Laugh, cry, anger, frustration, sad, moody, etc.. it's all shown in her face! Except I sometimes I can't tell between whether she's in pain or she needs the washroom. Being with her also taught me  how to read body language and communicate with her efficiently. She's very special, at least in  my heart. I have been with her until the day she got discharged for good from the hospital. Never heard from her ever since, I hope she's doing well. People come people go. Regardless, she left a big footprint in my heart. Thank you for being a significant part of my 4 years life of living in Canada. I love you and I miss you.


 "It is more blessed to give than to receive"
Acts 20:35


I wish I can share a pic of her but it will be against the privacy code.
I will be more than happy to show it to you in private. 

1 comment:

yTze said...

That's beautiful :))

I want to see her picture!